I had a go at this, in part, to make up for my previous less-than-entirely-satisfying
attempt at a Thoran
Dry Curry of Cabbage and Coconut (Thoran)
curry veg vegan side
The original recipe
added some fresh ginger paste just before the powders,
and some chopped carrots with the cabbage.
It also, in the Thoran tradition, used fresh coconut. But I didn't have any. And the curry seemed all the better for it :)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh curry leaves
- couple inches of creamed coconut, grated
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ green cabbage (250g/8 oz) , shredded
- 6 fresh chillies, sliced into fat rounds, with seeds
Mix the turmeric with a little water.
Heat the coconut oil and fry the mustard and cumin seeds until they pop, add the curry leaves for a few seconds,
then add the turmeric, pepper, salt and almost immediately the creamed coconut.
Let the spices cook for a few minutes without burning,
then add the cabbage and stir over high heat until it begins to sizzle and release water.
Turn the heat to low, add the sliced chillies, cover, and leave to cook for 15 minutes or so until tender.