Good with steak, but also not bad with
bacon-wrapped chicken parcels
You can make it with black or green peppercorns, wine or brandy, cream or crème fraîche
and you can add stock or mustard. So many choices!
sauce meat nautical
Don't go for flaming brandy on a boat. You'll upset the skipper!
I'd recommend green over black peppercorns.
- 1 small onion or 2 shallots
- 100ml white wine or brandy
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, cracked or 2 tablespoons green peppercorns in brine, rinsed
- 150ml crème fraîche or double cream
- a dash of Worcestershire sauce
- a crumbled Oxo cube
- a teaspoon of mustard
Lightly crush about a tablespoon of black peppercorns
or rinse a couple of tablespoons of green peppercorns.
Fry the onions or shallots gently in butter until soft.
If you're using brandy add it now and flame it off, otherwise add the wine.
Add the black peppercorns and reduce by half.
Add the stock and reduce by half.
Stir in the cream and green peppercorns .
Feel free to enhance the flavour with a crumbled Oxo cube ,
a dash of Worcestershire sauce or a teaspoon of mustard.